Located in Alberta… the city of Medicine Hat is a vibrant and sunny city, blessed with many natural resources such as natural gas clay, coal, farmland and more. It is a quiet and peaceful place to live and enjoy life. Below are some pretty cool and fun facts about Medicine Hat.
10 Cool and fun facts about Medicine Hat
1. Medicine Hat is located in the beautiful province of Alberta, and has an estimated population of around 64,458 people. It is one of the largest cities in Alberta.
2. A large amount of Alberta’s natural gas is located in the city of Medicine Hat. One of the city’s nicknames is “the Gas City”.
3. Medicine Hat was named after medicine man’s hat, it inherited its name from the native word “saamis”. A strange and interesting name for a city.
4. Medicine Hat’s junior ice hockey team, the Medicine Hat Tigers are well known all over Canada as one of the best junior hockey teams in the country. They have won the WHL and the Memorial Cup. In addition, the team has produced some of the best hockey players in the NHL.
5. Medicine Hat was founded in 1883, and officially became a city on May 9, 1906.
6. Medicine Hat is one of the sunniest cities in Canada.
7. A large population of Canadians aged 60 and above choose Medicine Hat as their retirement destination, here are some of the reasons:
- Affordable Housing
- Natural Gas is inexpensive
- Electricity is cheap
- Taxes are low
- The climate is mild
8. Downtown medicine hat is famous for its use of Gas Lamps. They make the city look warm and charming.
9. Medicine Hat has the world’s tallest Teepee.
10. The South Alberta Light Horse (SALH) – an army reserve unit of the Canadian military, call Medicine Hat home.