Winnipeg is one of the most popular cities in Canada, located right in the heart of the country. Check out these 14 surprising and interesting facts about Winnipeg that will blow your mind and surprise you.
1. Winnipeg is the capital city of Manitoba and the 7th largest city in Canada.
2. When Winnipeg was incorporated as a city in 1873, it had a mere population of 1,869. You want to talk about humble beginnings? Look at Winnipeg then and now.
3. Rapid growth – in 1911, the city of Winnipeg grow fast and became the 3rd largest city in Canada.
4. The Canadian Museum for Human Rights located in Winnipeg is the only national museum located in Western Canada.
5. The people of Winnipeg consume the most Slurpee in Canada.
6. Winnipeg has one major professional sports team; the Winnipeg Jets of the NHL (National Hockey League). To a leaser degree the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the CFL (Canadian Football League).
7. The longest skating rink in the world belongs to Winnipeg when the Assiniboine and Red rivers freeze in the winter.
8. The Forks – a beautiful area of green space in downtown Winnipeg that people go to socialize, and relax. It is a National Historic Site of Canada; for over 6000 years it has been a meeting place for the aboriginal peoples of Canada. This is what makes Winnipeg special. It attracts over 4 million people a year.
9. The city is home to just over 1000 restaurants, bars, and night clubs and over 7300 hotel rooms.
10. The Winnipeg General Strike – Winnipeg has had the largest strike in Canadian history, 1919 – over 30,000 people went on strike leaving the city in a crisis.
11. Winnipeg is the sunniest city in Canada with over 2,372 hours of sunshine and over 2,727 clear and blue skies per year.
12. The Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport is the largest airport in the province of Manitoba and one of the largest in Canada serving an estimated 3.8 people per year.
13. Centrally located – Winnipeg is in the Central time zone.
14. Winnipeg is the second home of the Royal Canadian Mint (main HQ is in Ottawa) – responsible for creating all of Canada’s coin currency as well as those of over 80 countries.
Pin it now to your Pinterest account.