Even though this beautiful city has had a tremendous impact on Canada, most Canadians have no idea where Charlottetown is or anything about it, so discover these quick 8 facts about Charlottetown.
1. Charlottetown was founded in 1764 and incorporated as a city in 1855.
2. Charlottetown is the capital city of Canada’s smallest province: Prince Edward Island.
3. Charlottetown is the place where it all started; the birthplace of Confederation as Canada made it’s intent clear to declare independence from the United Kingdom.
4. Charlottetown is named of Queen Charlotte of the United Kingdom, who was King George III’s wife.
5. It has a population of just over 36,000. It is growing slowly, but definitely growing.
6. Province House is the province’s legislative building and a National Historic Site of Canada. It is the second oldest sit of government in Canada. It is also the place where the Canadian confederation was held.
7. The city used to be called Port la Joie when it was under French occupation before the British took over in 1763.
8. If you love potatoes, then Prince Edward Island/Charlottetown is the place to be. The province is the number producer of potatoes in Canada.
Pin it using the image below