When some foreigners think of Canada, they think of Ontario. Every province is important to Canada, but Ontario is the most important province in Canada by far. It has the biggest population and economy among all the provinces and territories. Ontario is where the capital city of Canada is located and also where the biggest city is located.
There are hundreds of facts but here are 15 Facts About Ontario
1. Ontario is Canada’s heartbeat. It is home to Capital city of Canada, Ottawa.
2. Ontario is home to the largest city in Canada, Toronto.
3. Speaking of Toronto, it is the capital city of the province of Ontario.
4. Ontario is the most populous province in Canada, with a population of over 13.4 million people. That is more people than several countries, such as Serbia and the Dominican Republic just to name a few.
5. Ontario is the second largest province in Canada after Quebec. It is bigger than both France and Spain combined.
6. Ontario is by far the richest province in Canada, with a GDP (Gross Domestic Product) of over 760 billion dollars.
7. Ontario’s neighbours are Quebec, Manitoba, US States of New York, Ohio, Michigan, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania. The Hudson Bay and James Bay to the North.
8. Ontario’s population is due to a high volume of immigrants from other countries. It receives and welcome more immigrants than any other province.
9. Thus, Ontario is the most ethnically diverse province in Canada.
10. The province of Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick are the first provinces to make up the Canadian confederation in July 1, 1867.
11. Ontario’s official motto is: Loyal she began, loyal she remains
12. In Huron language, Ontario means “Great Lake”. So Ontario is named after Lake Ontario.
13. Speaking of Lake Ontario, it is one of the five Great Lakes of North America. (Width: 85 km/
Length: 310.6 km)
14. Ontario is the land of lakes. Most of Canada’s lakes are in Ontario, with over 250,000 lakes.
15. Ontario shares the natural wonder and majestic “Niagara Falls” with the US State of New York.