Every country in the world has a city that is in a class of its own. For Canada, that city is Toronto. Toronto a powerhouse in the world of finance, economy, entertainment, culture, real estate and fashion. It ranks in the top 15 on the list of the most economically powerful cities in the world. There are well over 200 facts about Toronto, but we know most people wouldn’t read them all, so here are 19 quick mega facts about Toronto.
1. Toronto is the largest city in Canada.
2. Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America behind Mexico City, New York City, and Los Angeles.
3. Over 8000 bars and restaurants call Toronto home (in case you are not impressed that is a LOT, most cities in Canada have half or less than half of 8000).
4. Toronto is a major sports town, no other city in Canada comes close. Toronto sports is part of all the major professional leagues in North America except for the NFL. They have the Toronto Raptors of the NBA (National Basketball Association), the Toronto Maple Leafs, NHL (National Hockey League), Toronto Blue Jays (Major League Baseball).
5. Toronto Pearson International Airport is the largest and busiest Airport in Canada.
6. The Toronto Zoo is the largest zoo in Canada with over 5,000 animals.
7. Toronto is the most multicultural city in Canada and ranks in the top 10 in the world.
8. Toronto is the capital city of Ontario (not Canada! many tourists and foreigners) think it is the capital city of Canada).
9. Same as many other cities that started off with a different name such as Bytown (now Ottawa), Toronto was founded as York before changing its name to Toronto when it was incorporated in 1834.
10. Toronto is the financial and commercial centre of Canada; it is home to the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), and almost all companies in Canada have headquarters or an office in Toronto.
11. The CN Tower is the ninth tallest free-standing structure in the world and number 1 in the Western World. This tall beautiful structure piercing through the heavens is an engineering marvel. It attracts over 2 million visitors a year. It is one of the seven wonders in the modern world.
12. It is estimated that Toronto gets 40 million visitors per year.
13. The Toronto Caribbean Carnival (Caribana) is the largest street festival in North America, it is held every summer in July.
14. Toronto has over 9500 streets.
15. Toronto is huge in the film industry, over 20% of Hollywood movies are filed and produced in Toronto.
16. Toronto’s PATH is the world’s biggest underground shopping complex – over 50 buildings are connected through it.
17. Toronto’s Rogers Centre is the first stadium in the world to have a roof that is completely retractable – the stadium has gained a lot of fame for this fact.
18. Toronto has over 50 ice skating rinks.
19. The Royal Ontario Museum in Toronto is the largest museum in Canada.
[headline style=”12″ align=”center” headline_tag=”h2″]Pin this image to Your Pinterest Board and share the love!