Montreal is a world-renowned city, the pride, and joy of the province of Quebec. It is the second largest city in Canada, with plenty of things to do and see. If you love shopping, Montreal has that covered too! A great place to shop, dine, have fun and just relax. All at reasonable prices compared to other cities such as Toronto, Vancouver, and Ottawa. Without further ado, here are 20 interesting facts about Montreal.
1. Founded in 1642 and incorporated in 1832, Montreal is one of the oldest cities in the world.
2. The first Olympics ever hosted in Canada was in Montreal; 1976 – Summer Olympics. The only city to ever host the Summer Olympics.
3. Montreal was originally called Ville-Marie.
4. Before Toronto, it was the commercial capital of Canada.
5. Taxis are big in Montreal; over 4000 licensed taxi drivers.
6. Montreal is an island and the island is bigger than Manhattan.
7. The Island of Montreal has over 15 bridges.
8. Montreal is a sports town… it has several teams such as; Montreal Impact of the Major League Soccer (MLS), the Montreal Canadiens of the National Hockey League (NHL), the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League (CFL), the Montreal Expos (baseball team).
9. Montreal has an amusement park – La Ronde Amusement Park; the second largest in Canada.
10. Montreal is home to Just For Laughs; a popular Canadian comedy show – they have an onset version and one in town, where they prank people (make them look silly or provoke other reactions in a good way).
11. In the 1970’s Montreal used to be the biggest city in Canada. Currently, it is the second largest city in Canada.
12. Montreal has a By-Law that no building can be taller than the cross on the top of Mount Royal.
13. Located inside a geodesic dome, the Biosphere Environmental Museum in Montreal is the only museum in North America dedicated to the environment. It is an architectural masterpiece. It is one of the coolest museums in the world. An excellent place to learn about the Earth’s climate.
14. As of June 2006, Montreal is a UNESCO City of Design. For those of you who don’t know, this title is an initiative by UNESCO who recognize cities for their potential in the following; film, art, literature, music and other creative-based design fields. It is a list of around 180 cities around the world.
15. The Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal is truly a masterpiece of art. It attracts an estimated 11 million visitors per year.
16. Montreal has the second largest French-speaking city in the world behind Paris.
17. Montreal has over 350 kilometres of bike paths.
18. The land of restaurants, this beautiful city is home to the highest number of restaurants in Canada.
19. Montreal has an Underground City; filled with shops, restaurants and a lot of goodies.
20. Montreal is one of the most popular cities in the world. It has a great reputation and is very well respected.
[headline style=”13″ align=”center” headline_tag=”h2″]Pin this image to Your Pinterest Board and share the love!