Located right across Detroit, Windsor is Canada’s automotive capital… a major industrial and manufacturing hub. From Windsor, you can clearly see the city of Detroit across the bridge and vice versa for the people living in Detroit. A lot of people still don’t know much about Windsor but it is a hidden gem, a city of over 200,000 people with a lot to offer.
Here are 13 interesting facts about Windsor you may not know about.
1. Windsor is one of the oldest cities in Canada, it was settled in 1749 and incorporated in 1854.
2. Windsor is a city located in Southern Ontario, the most southern city in Canada.
3. It is one of the largest cities in Canada, with a population of just over 220,000 people.
4. Windsor is located right across the Detroit River, you can see Detroit right across the river. Similar to Ottawa and Gatineau.
5. From downtown Windsor to downtown Detroit, it would take you about 5 minutes by car. That is how close the two cities located in two different countries are. It is really cool looking across the river and seeing a city in another country. A rare experience.
6. The city has over 180 parks.
7. Windsor is the warmest city in Ontario and is among the warmest in Canada. But this means summers are hot, thus producing a lot of thunderstorms/lightning than most Canadian cities.
8. Unfortunately Windsor has the worst air pollution in Canada due to coal-burning power plants from the US.
9. The city is home to the largest distillery in the world.
10. Windsor is the first city in Canada to have an electrified street railway: built in 1886.
11. Canada’s superstar, the best female country singer in the world Shania Twain was born in Windsor.
12. Canada’s only Olympic medal for Basketball was a silver won at the 1936 Summer Games in Berlin, by the Windsor team the “Ford V-8s”.
13. Windsor has some of the best pizzas in Canada. Many great Italian restaurants.