If you love the outdoors, nature and hiking, then British Columbia is perfect for you. I might get hate for this, but in my personal opinion (not a fact); British Columbia (B.C. for short) is the most beautiful province in Canada. The combination of mountains, islands, lakes, the pacific ocean, nature, and weather sets British Columbia apart from all the other provinces. Alberta comes in 2nd place with it’s stunningly beautiful wildlife, mountains, and parks – Banff National Park in particular.
“If You Want The Best Quality of Life In Canada, Go to British Columbia.” – Unknown
23 Fun and Interesting Facts About The Most Beautiful Province in Canada, British Columbia
1. British Columbia has an estimated population of 5 Million people, making it the 3rd most populous province in Canada.
2. British Columbia joined Canada on July 20/1871.
3. The province’s official motto is: Splendour without diminishment.
4. The capital city is Victoria (although the province is working on a plan to move the capital to Vancouver).
5. It’s capital city Victoria is named after Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom. She is also the one who named the province; British Columbia. She was a very powerful women in the world during her time.
6. British Columbia is about 4 times bigger than the United Kingdom. It takes up about 10 percent of Canada’s land mass.
7. The largest city in British Columbia is Vancouver, one of the best cities in the world.
8. Before English settlers, the land was first inhabited by the First Nations for at least 10,000 years.
9. The province has the most mountains in Canada.
10. British Columbia has the best/mildest weather in Canada.
11. At 440 metres high, the Della Falls (Strathcona Provincial Park) located in the province are the highest waterfall in Canada.
12. About 2.5 million people live in the Metro Vancouver area. Half the population of the entire province.
13. The province does not have an official language, but most people speak English.
14. It has the second highest number of people from Asia.
15. Most of Canada’s cranberries and blueberries come from British Columbia.
16. It is the 4th richest province in Canada with a GDP of around 250 Billion.
17. It is the most western province in Canada. Its neighbours are the province of Alberta, Northwest Territories, Yukon, and the US States of Washington, Idaho, Alaska and Montana. It also borders the Pacific ocean.
18. The popular sport Bathtub racing began in Nanaimo – British Columbia.
19. Established in 1913, the Patricia Theatre located in B.C. is the longest continuously running theatre in Canada (Address: 5848 Ash Ave, Powell River, BC V8A 4R6).
20. The University of British Columbia is one of the best universities in the world. It consistently ranks between 2nd or 3rd in Canada.
21. Parks are very important for the province, so there are over 3 UNESCO World Heritage Sites, 500 provincial parks and 7 national parks; such as Stanley Park – one of the biggest parks in Canada/world (it is a national historic site).
22. At 1,399 km the Fraser River is the longest in the province.
23. Among many, important tourists attractions include Capilano Suspension Bridge, Sky resort town of Whistler, and The Butchart Gardens.
Don't forget to PIN the image below to your Pinterest Account! Pin it to your travel board/section.