There are a number of factors that created the decline. If you look at a family of four, you’re talking about $1,500 or so,” he said. “That’s a significant burden.”said Andrew Griffith, a former director-general – Citizenship and Immigration Canada
I work in the education department at my company here in Edmonton and if I had to guess how many of my co-workers are Canadian citizens, I would say roughly 40% are Canadian citizens and the other 60% are still immigrants. Some have been here for over 20 years and are still immigrants. Every time… when the question of citizenship comes up during our conversations and I ask them why they are not citizens yet, answers vary. Some tell me they don’t have time, too expensive (the processing fee used to be $200, but now it is around $630 for each person) or simply don’t feel the need.
Well, according to a recent report by Statistics Canada, more people in 1996 became immigrants than in 2016 and this trend has been growing over time. New Canadian immigrants are more content with Permanent Residency.
As long as immigrants are paying their fair share of taxes and contributing to the Canadian economy, they are happy and so are many of the people I work with.
What do you think? Would you like to see more new Canadian immigrants become citizens? Share your comments below.
Hi there, and thanks for checking out my bio. My name is Janice, I’m a sister. A friend. A mom, and above all… a writer!