Famously known by many Canadians primarily for introducing the GST tax reform, Brian Mulroney was a confident and an outspoken man. Read his quotes below to get to know him a little bit better.
1. You can’t be chasing 15 rabbits. Otherwise, the public mind cannot follow you.
2. My second biggest mistake in life, for which I have no one to blame but myself, is having accepted payments in cash from Karlheinz Schreiber for a mandate he gave me after I left office… My biggest mistake in life, by far, was ever agreeing to be introduced to Karlheinz Schreiber in the first place.
3. If your only objective is to be popular, you’re going to be popular but you will be known as the Prime Minister who achieved nothing.
4. This country is made up of small towns and big dreams.
5. Every argument that Margaret Thatcher ever made internationally didn’t have a great deal to do with her contempt for Communism – she never really got into that. What she talked about was giving freedom to tens of millions of people in Central and Eastern Europe. She was an inspirational leader when it came to discussing her belief in freedom. More visceral and moral.
6. In politics, madame, you need two things: friends, but above all an enemy.
7. Trudeau’s contribution was not to build Canada but to destroy it, and I had to come in and save it.
8. I would go to them and I would explain this is the price of going forward. We’re going to move ahead in all these other areas. We’re moving ahead in tax reform and GST, we are moving ahead on trade, but this will not be done at the cost of the environment.
9. Nobody has achievements like this … you cannot name a Canadian prime minister who has done as many significant things as I did, because there are none.
10. Once you articulate an agenda, you have to follow it.
SAVE this to your Pinterest Account Now, hover on image!