The Right Honourable John Diefenbaker was a deep thinker, visionary and a wise man. He grew up in a humble home. One day during a conversation with his mother, he prophesized at the young age of 8 years that he would be Prime Minister of Canada one day. A great leader and one of Canada’s best prime ministers. He truly loved Canada with a passion.
1. I was criticized for being too much concerned with the average Canadians. I can’t help that; I am one of them!
2. I have an intensive hatred for discrimination based on colour.
3. Freedom includes the right to say what others may object to and resent… The essence of citizenship is to be tolerant of strong and provocative words.
4. Parliament is more than procedure – it is the custodian of the nation’s freedom.
5. I am so excited about Canadians ruling the world.
6. There can be no dedication to Canada’s future without a knowledge of its past.
7. I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.
8. I am not anti-American. But I am strongly pro-Canadian.
9. I am the first prime minister of this country of neither English nor French origin. So I determined to bring about a Canadian citizenship that knew no hyphenated consideration….I’m very happy to be able to say that in the House of Commons today in my party we have members of Italian, Dutch, German, Scandinavian, Chinese and Ukrainian origin and they are all Canadians.
10. I’ve lived history. I’ve made history, and I know I’ll have my place in history. That’s not egoism.