Even though he was in office for only 3 years, Mr Paul Martin was a successful and smart businessman and his experience in the private sector played a key role when he was Minister of finance in the previous governments. Here are some of his quotes.
1. The achievements we forge in this place and in our nation will not be those of one person or one party.
2. Have you ever, on a cloudless night, looked down from a passing aircraft flying over Canada? Endless, glowing strings of cities, towns, and homesteads. Stretching on and on, one province to the next. With only the stars in the distance.
3. For years governments have been promising more than they can deliver, and delivering more than they can afford.
4. Canada is our country. It belongs to us and we belong to it. Let us join together, in our time, and make history once again.
5. As a people, we know what we can do, we know how to do it, and we just want to get on with it. How? By ensuring that Canada’s place in the world is one of influence and pride.
6. In Canada, women’s rights are a vital part of our effort to build a society of real equality – not just for some, but for all Canadians. A society in which women no longer encounter discrimination nor are shut out from opportunities open to others.
7. The people of Canada have worked hard to build a country that opens its doors to include all, regardless of their differences; a country that respects all, regardless of their differences; a country that demands equality for all, regardless of their differences.
8. Every Canadian who wants to learn should have the opportunity to do so.
9. It is not the government’s purpose to make a profit the way a company does, because a company doesn’t have to give a damn about the unemployed poor or provide services that are non-commercial by definition.
10. I rise in support of a Canada in which liberties are safeguarded, rights are protected and the people of this land are treated as equals under the law.