William Lyon Mackenzie King was the 10th prime minister of Canada and longest service. He is a Canadian legend and one of the most respected in Canadian history. Below are some of his quotes, read them and learn from his philosophy.
1. Far more has been accomplished for the welfare and progress of mankind by preventing bad actions than by doing good ones.
2. Just when we most need to be clearheaded, in order to face the hard facts before us, there is all too frequently a very real inclination to give way to dangerous tendencies merely as an escape from realities.
3. Only the man who disciplines himself strictly can stand for long the terrific pace of modern war.
4. Government, in the last analysis, is organized opinion. Where there is little or no public opinion, there is likely to be bad government.
5. The people of Canada do not wish as a result of mass immigration to make a fundamental alteration in the character of our population. Large scale immigration from the Orient would change the fundamental composition of the Canadian population.
6. A true man does not only stand up for himself, he stands up for those that do not have the ability to.
7. Until the control of the issue of currency and credit is restored to government and recognized as its most conspicuous and sacred responsibility, all talks of the sovereignty of Parliament and of democracy is idle and futile.
8. I really believe my greatest service is in the many unwise steps I prevent.
9. From the outset of the war, the Canadian people have clearly shown that it is their desire to help in every way to make Canada’s war effort as effective as possible.
10. I believed the people had a true instinct in most matters of government when left alone. That they were not swayed, as specially favoured individuals were, by personal interest, but rather by a sense of what best served the common good. That they recognized the truth when it was put before them, and that a leader can guide so long as he kept to the right lines. I did not think it was a mark of leadership to try to make the people do what one wanted them to do.
SAVE this to your Pinterest Account Now, hover on image!