The Montreal Canadiens, also nicknamed "the Habs", are a professional ice hockey team based in Montreal, Quebec. The team is part of the Eastern Conference of the NHL.
The Toronto Maple Leafs are a Canadian professional ice hockey team that plays in the North Division of the Eastern Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL). The club is based in Toronto, Ontario. They have won 13 Stanley Cup Championships – one of the most successful teams in NHL history.
12 Facts About The Toronto Maple Leafs
- 1. The Maple Leafs (The Toronto Arenas at the time) began playing in 1917 and joined National Hockey League (NHL) in 1918, one of the founding members of the league. They are one of the oldest pro teams in the world. From the Arenas, to the St. Patricks, the team changed its name for the last time in 1927 to the Maple Leafs.
- 2. The teams’ colors are blue and white. The mascot of the team is Carlton the Bear – since 1995.
- 3. The Toronto Maple Leafs logo has gone through at least 7 designs over the years.
- 4. The team is owned by MLSE (Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd.) and Larry Tanenbaum (chairman).
- 5. The Leafs have an estimated value of 1.5 billion US dollars as a franchise, making it the second most valuable team in the NHL behind the New York Rangers (1.7 billion US).
- 6. How many Stanley cups have the Toronto Maple Leafs won? The Toronto Maple Leafs have won 13 Stanley Cup Championships, the most recent one being in 1967 when they beat the Montreal Canadiens in six games.
- 7. The team has 21 active players on their roster right now. The Toronto Maple Leafs are often noted for an underdog mentality and an aversion to the spotlight which they have gained after many playoff failures.
- 8. Tie Domi is the oldest player on the team history. Tie joined the team in 1988 as the 27th overall pick. He is currently 51 years old as of 2021.
- 9. Morgan Rielly is the youngest player on the team, was born February 9th, 1994 and is 19 years old.
- 10. The team plays at Scotiabank Arena, shared by both the Leafs and the Toronto Raptors (NBA franchise), which is also owned by MLSE, the same company that owns the Leafs and has been doing so since 1999. Before that, they played at Maple Leaf Gardens from 1931-1999. They have won the most games out of any other NHL team in history at 793 wins.
- 11. Who is the best current Toronto Maple Leafs player? Phil Kessel is the best player on the team. He was born on September 16th, 1987 in Madison, Wisconsin and is now 27 years old. He belongs to the right-wing position and his jersey number is 81. His career points with this team are 213 and he has played in all three games so far this season with 9 points so far. Kessel signed a 5 year extension with the Maple Leafs in October 2011 which will make him one of the highest paid players in the league by 2016.
- 12. The top players on the team are: Phil Kessel, Morgan Reilly, Cody Franson, James Van Riemsdyk, Joffrey Lupul and James Reimer.