Victoria is one of the most popular cities in Canada for both tourists and locals and for good reason...
The Butchart Gardens are the most beautiful collection of gardens in Canada. Jennie Butchart and Robert Pim Butchart, a couple who came from Ontario... established the Gardens in 1906, well before both World War 1 and World War 2 (so to say that the gardens have survived to the test time would be a massive understatement). The Gardens were the vision and brainchild of wife Jennie. The Butchart Gardens is a National Historic Site of Canada, designated in 2004 to mark its 100th year anniversary. They are in the small village of Brentwood Bay, remarkably close to Victoria - British Columbia.
10 Beautiful facts and information about the Butchart Gardens
- 1. The Gardens are managed by a team of over 45 experienced full-time gardeners. It has 55 acres of gardens, 900 bedding plant variations, and 26 greenhouses.
- 2. What is the best time to visit Butchart Gardens? Throughout the year, you can visit the Butchart Gardens. The peak season is between July and August when there are often serious traffic jams between 11 am and 3 pm. Go early in the morning or in the late afternoon.
- 3. How long does it take to walk through Butchart Gardens? There 6 gardens to explore (Sunken Garden, Rose Garden, Japanese Garden, Italian Garden and the Mediterranean Garden), so I would dedicate an entire day to visit the Butchart Gardens, with extra time to enjoy the entertainment and firework display in the summertime.
- 4. Why is the Butchart Gardens famous? They are extremely beautiful, an outstanding work of art. Among Canadian National Historic Sites, the Butchart Gardens is one of them. While wandering through The Gardens, you will discover remnants of the original cement plant, along with over 900 varieties of bedding plants.
- 5. How much does Butchart Gardens cost? Prices vary thought the year, but currently, the prices are as follows: Adult (18+) $27.00, Youth (13-17) $13.50, Child (5-12) $2.00, including tax.
- 6. How far is Butchart Gardens from Victoria? It will take you approximately 17 km from Victoria to Butchart Gardens. The driving distance is approximately 19.7 km. How far is it from Vancouver to Butchart Gardens? The distance between Vancouver and Butchart Gardens is approximately 80 km.
- 7. Is Butchart Gardens open year-round? The Gardens may seem more like a spring or summer affair, but thanks to Vancouver Island's temperate climate, The Gardens are open all year long.
- 8. Can you bring food into Butchart Gardens? The answer is no, only mini snacks and drinks for medical needs. They also do not allow lawn chairs, so do not bring those either. It is a private garden, not a public park, so behave accordingly!
- 9. Are the Butchart Gardens worth it? Absolutely yes, they are some of the most beautiful gardens in the world.
- 10. Are dogs allowed in Butchart Gardens? Dogs are frowned upon since they make some guests uncomfortable or get in people's way because some streets are narrow/small but permitted only if they are well behaved and on a leash. Owners must follow strict guidelines.