Mr John Turner was the 17th Prime Minister of Canada for just a few months but was an experienced veteran in government and held various Cabinet positions during the Pierre Trudeau Administration. He was a man of strong faith and the quotes below reflect that.
1. The LDS Church teaches that Christ’s atoning sacrifice enables the resurrection of all human beings and provides an opportunity for individuals to progress toward exaltation, meaning a higher level of glory within the celestial kingdom. Only those individuals who make and keep covenants with God on earth – beginning with baptism but also including additional ordinances – will be exalted into the presence of God and their savior for eternity.
2. My time is now.
3. One major difference between Mormons and evangelicals on the subject of revelation is that Latter-day Saints believe that God has appointed modern-day prophets and apostles to receive revelation for Christ’s church. All church members may receive revelation appropriate for their particular callings or positions within the church and their families, but never in contradiction to church doctrine or policy. So Mormonism has both a democratic practice of revelation that would resonate with evangelicals, but also an institutional understanding of revelation foreign to evangelicalism.
4. The most common objection to changes in public policy which would increase a user’s control of housing at the expense of centralized institutions is that standards would be lowered as a result. The standards the objectors have in mind, however, are not something that cam be achieved with available resources, but, rather, represent the objector’s own notion of what housing ought to be.
5. I’m not going to play politics on the floor of the House of Commons.
6. Too often, our minds are locked on one track. We are looking for red – so we overlook blue. Many Nobel Prizes have been washed down the drain because someone did not expect the unexpected.
7. In any democracy, there is always a tug-of-war between policies to achieve equality and policies to promote excellence. I am certain that Canada can achieve both equality and excellence.
8. It’s hard to know how many rank-and-file nineteenth-century church members accepted the idea that Jesus was married to multiple women and fathered children, but the idea received support from many high-ranking leaders, including Brigham Young and Joseph F. Smith.
9. Because of my political views, I’ve been targeted as a lightning rod, someone who’s too far out there.
SAVE this to your Pinterest Account Now!