The Edmonton Oilers are a Canadian based professional ice hockey team that plays in beautiful city Edmonton, Alberta.
Based in the largest city of the province of Manitoba, the Winnipeg Jets are a Canadian professional ice hockey team based in Winnipeg. The team plays in the Western Conference of the National Hockey League (NHL). Since being founded in Atlanta in 1999, the franchise has lost their first five seasons.
11 Cool and Eye Opening Facts About The Winnipeg Jets
- 1. Winnipeg was among the founding members of the World Hockey Association (WHA) on December 27, 1971. The vast majority of the WHA's clubs went bankrupt by 1979. April 28, 1996 was the last regular season game for the original Winnipeg Jets.
- 2. Among all the Canadian NHL franchises, the Winnipeg Jets are the second newest franchise (after the Las Vegas Knights), founded in 1999 - 2011 (as the Atlanta Trashers, and from 2011 until now as the Winnipeg Jets). The Ottawa Senators are the second newest, established in 1992.
- 3. Team colours are: Polar night blue, aviator blue, silver, red, and white.
- 4. The franchise is currently owned by True North Sports & Entertainment, which also owns the Bell MTS Place... the home of the Jets.
- 5. True North Sports & Entertainment is very strong financial backing. They are owned by Megill-Stephenson Co and David Thomson, the richest man in Canada (net worth of $35.7 billion).
- 6. To date, the Jets have NOT won any Division championships, Presidents' Trophy, Conference championships or the Stanley Cup.
- 7. How much are the Winnipeg Jets worth? As of 2020, the the Jets had an estimated valuation of 405 million U.S. dollars.
- 8. A huge fan of the New York Jets, Winnipeg Jets owner Ben Hatskin (owner at the time) gave the team the “Jets” name.
- 9. The current captain of the team is Blake Wheeler. He was drafted by the Phoenix Coyotes in the first round, fifth overall, in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. He was born (August 31, 1986) in Plymouth, Minnesota - USA.
- 10. The team's current general manager is Kevin Cheveldayoff, a Canadian from Saskatoon - Saskatchewan.
- 11. The best player in the history of the Jets is Dale Hawerchuk. A young prodigy at the young age of Dale Hawerchuk. Hawerchuk was also the youngest player in NHL history to hit that 100 point mark and is the Jets all time leading scorer with 929 points, 379 goals and an outstanding 1.30 points per contest. Unfortunately, Dale passed away recently due to stomach cancer on August 18, 2020 at the age of 57.