Toronto is the most populous city in Canada and the provincial capital of Ontario. An alarmingly large number of kids in Canada and beyond don’t know much about Toronto except that it is the largest city in Canada. The city has one of the most multicultural populations in North America! People from more than 180 countries live there, speaking more than 160 languages. Toronto is also a family-friendly city with many amenities for kids and teenagers.
1. Toronto is the most multicultural city in Canada. Toronto is truly a melting pot of cultures, as demonstrated by the diversity of the people here.
2. The Toronto Zoo is the biggest in Canada. Spanning 287 hectares of land, the Toronto Zoo has more than 4,000 animals. In addition, it is home to more than 1,000 species of animals and over 500 different kinds of plants! With many different types of animals on display, kids will never be bored at the Toronto Zoo.
3. Toronto has some very tall buildings. Most of Canada’s tallest buildings are located here in Toronto. The CN Tower is Canada’s most famous landmark and even has a restaurant at the top! At 553 metres tall, it is also one of the world’s tallest free-standing structures.
4. The best and most popular park in Toronto is High Park.
5. The largest mall in the city is the Eaton Centre.
6. Toronto’s most famous sports team is the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League.
7. The Toronto Public Library hosts events and activities for kids and families – including storytimes, Science Saturdays, and musical performances. It is the most extensive public library system in all of Canada.
8. The University of Toronto is the country’s largest undergraduate school.
9. The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) has the most college and high school sports teams in Ontario!
10. The Mayor of Toronto is John Tory – who was elected Mayor in 2014 and is known for balancing the budget and keeping taxes low.
11. The richest person in Toronto is David Thomson. He is also the wealthiest person in Canada, with a net worth of over 40 billion dollars.
12. Ontario’s largest French school board, The Conseil scolaire Viamonde (CSV), is located in Toronto.
13. The most expensive neighbourhood in Toronto is Bridle Path.
14. Casa Loma is the most famous mansion in Toronto. It’s the site of many movies and television shows. As well the estate attracts hundreds of thousands of tourists annually.
15. If you’re looking for the most popular movie theatre in Toronto that’s still open, look no further than the Cineplex Cinemas Yonge Dundas & VIP.
16. The rapper Drake was born in Toronto.
17. Andre Wiggins of the Golden State Warriors was born in Toronto.
18. Corus Entertainment is based in Toronto. The company owns YTV Canada and other kids’ television cartoon TV shows.
19. The largest museum in Canada is Toronto’s Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO).
20. Of the many nicknames, Toronto is called “the Six” because the city comprises six different areas; Old Toronto, Scarborough, East York, North York, Etobicoke and York.
Want to learn more about Toronto? Check out these other facts about Toronto right now to discover more.